Every time you shop on Amazon.com, a portion of the money you spend will be given to the Langston Civic Association
1. What is Amazon Smile
AmazonSmile is a simple and automatic way for you to support your favorite charitable organization every time you shop, at no cost to you. When you shop at smile.amazon.com, you’ll find the exact same low prices, vast selection and convenient shopping experience as Amazon.com, with the added bonus that Amazon will donate a portion of the purchase price to your favorite charitable organization. You can choose from nearly one million organizations to support
2. Here's How to Select Langston Civic Association As Your Charity
Click the link below and Amazon will guide you through the process of selecting us as your preferred charity and set you up with special features to make sure that you always use Amazon Smile for your shopping.
The Langston Civic Association's request to delay a vote on the Proposed Kingman Park Historic District application was successful. A vote on the application has now been rescheduled for January 25, 2018 in order to allow more time for resident input.
The primary reason that the Langston Civic Association became involved in delaying a hearing on this matter is because members of our community have complained of not receiving appropriate notice of this potential designation or being given the opportunity for feedback by those who submitted the application.
Thanks to our requests, the Office of Planning will be delaying a hearing on this application until next year and using the time before that to host a variety of events in our area aimed at educating residents about historic districts in general as well as this specific application.
If you want to read more on the topic:
Proposed Kingman Park Historic District Application:
Request Application Photos:
OFFICE OF PLANNING MEETING:
Nov. 18, 2017
10AM - Noon
Mt. Moriah Baptist Church
1636 East Capitol Street NE
NEXT CIVIC ASSOCIATION MEETING:
Dec. 5, 2017
2109 Maryland Ave. NE
The Langston Civic Association voted unanimously to protest the ABRA license held by the 7 Food store at 1830 Benning Rd. NE during a special meeting held on Tues. Oct 3, 2017 at 6 PM.
The owner of the store, Kevin Pak, was invited to attend but declined to do so for personal reasons. Mr. Pak sent resident Damone Plummer to speak on behalf of the store in his place. Association members spoke with a representative of ABRA about the protest process, reviewed the store’s recent violations and discussed additional community concerns that have not been captured by ABRA oversight before coming to this decision.
Councilmember Kenyan McDuffie also attended the meeting to briefly field questions about his role offering oversight for ABRA as well as pending legislation focused on owners of nuisance properties in the District.
Food 7 Store Review Information:
Previous Settlement Agreement:
Please note that this agreement is attached to the license not the individual license holder at the time when the agreement is made.
A few key notes from the Aug. 16, 2000 settlement agreement:
1. Applicant shall maintain the signs to advise people that the parking lot is for use only while shopping at the store.
2. Applicant agrees to clean the area around the store, including the area of the alley behind the store, the parking lot adjacent to the store and the sidewalk in front of the store and parking lot three (3) times a day.
3. Applicant agrees to maintain a police log for all calls to MPDC, Fifth District and all visits and responses to calls by officers.
4. Applicant agrees not to sell any alcoholic beverages to inebriated individuals. ,
5. Applicant agrees to insure no service to minors by requiring identification of any individuals who appear to be thirty (30) years old or less.
6. Applicant agrees to continue his current hours of operations, which are 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday and Saturday, 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. Fridays and 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. on Sundays.
7. Applicant agrees to co-ordinate with the local principals of the neighborhood public schools to provide a credit at the store for students who achieve academic success. The details will be worked out with the principals.
8. Applicant agrees that a representative of the store will attend the regular meetings of the ANC and PSA 509 monthly (at least six times a year) unless events beyond the applicant's control prevent it.
9. This agreement shall merge with the license and be a part thereof as if this were a part of 23 DCMR.
10. This agreement shall be monitored by ANC 5B and any problems will first be brought to the owners of 7 Food's attention and if the problem cannot be satisfactorily resolved, the ANC 5B or SMD 5B 11 may petition the Board for a Show Cause Order pursuant to 23 DCMR 1513.5 for a violation thereof.
Read the Previous Settlement Agreement in Full
2017 Veterans' Day of Service
Langston Resident Council Office
667 24th St NE
Washington, DC 20002
NOVEMBER 11, 2017 9:30 AM - 5:00 PM
THIS IS A BIG DEAL!
Our community has been selected by The Mission Continues for some much-needed community projects including a new playground at the Carver Terrace apartments. We will begin the day with service and wrap up the day with a cookout and live music in honor of not only the volunteers, but the veterans living and working in our community.
We need at leasts 20 volunteers from our civic association to make this event a success. If you can participate for some or even part of the day, please email email@example.com to register. It is important for our neighborhood to make a good showing so that we can continue to get help from organizations like The Mission Continues.
ABRA Community Training
Residents and community organizations are invited to attend the Alcoholic Beverage Regulation Administration's (ABRA) community training from 6:30-8:30 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 26, 2017. Training will cover:
2000 14th St., NW
Suite 400 South, 4th Floor
Washington, DC 20009
If you would like to carpool over to the training, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
Kingman Park Historic District Meeting
Residents and community organizations are invited to offer testimony about the appropriateness of including portions of Carver Langston in the proposed Kingman Park Historic District.
Room 220 South,
Washington, DC 20009
ANC 5D Meeting
October 10, 2017
1805 Bladensburg Rd. NE
Washington, DC 20002